Kingdom of Bahrain
06 Nov 2009
Winter of 1993 was at its peak (at least for me, being a first timer). I got down at New Delhi Railway Station after a long domestic travel from South to North, for the first time in my life - a "voyage" spanning more than 54 hours. I liked train journeys, always. I liked meeting different people, seeing different places, eating different food, enjoying train coffee etc. etc. Since that was my first long journey, Daddy accompanied me, who had been to Delhi many times, during his Services tenure.
My sister, Lekshmi Chechi (who was then in Gurdaspur, Punjab) and another relative, Wing Cdr. Mohan Chand (a.k.a. Mohan Chettan) received us at the Railway Station. Will write more about my acquintances with Mohan Chettan and his wife Mallika Chand (a.k.a Malu Chechi) a little later. I can never forget their care and affection shown to me, especially during my initial days in Delhi, and the big consideration towards me, a novice in the big Capital city.
Malu Chechi introduced me to Joies, one of her colleagues in Modi Xerox. The latter, hailing from Pala in Kerala was a very helpful person and had consented to accommodate me also in his accommodation in Gautam Nagar (near AIIMS).
Very clearly I remember, with a beige coloured VIP suit case and another bigger travel bag, I started my independent life, miles away from my home and family. From a huge house, till a few days ago, I got confined to a shared accommodation (to be read as one-room + kitchen + common bathroom). To make matters worse, the room was shared by five people, including me, the latest entrant! Initially, I felt claustrophobic, but, later got used to it.
When I was staying comfortably with my parents back home in a big house, without any "mandatory hassles", I thought that independent life would be interesting and enterprising. Those where just blurred thoughts, I learnt.
After helping me to settle down in my "new house", Daddy left for Gurdaspur with my sister for a short visit. Though he was scheduled to come back to Delhi after two weeks (prior to his return to Trivandrum), I felt a strong tremor within myself - a feeling of solitude - a feeling of loneliness - in simple terms, budding of home sickness!!
I tagged relationships and bondings - priceless !
Accommodation in Gautam Nagar
Though it was very difficult to cope up at the beginning, I started to like the place and the environment, progressively.
In every similar accommodation in these big cities, I learnt that, there was a "leader" who would be the single point of contact, at least for the house owner, for following up the rental dues, if any! In vernacular terms, his neck will be the first to be caught by the (stout) house owners if he fails pay the house rent on time!!
For us, Joies was the leader, as he was the person who took this particular room for rental. Literally, he was our Guardian! House owner, was of course, a strong and stout lady (with a silent husband). In the same building, there were many rooms provided on rental basis, house owner may not be the right word in this context. I would rather call her, a rooms owner.
Like many other buildings in Gautam Nagar (and many other parts of Delhi), this building also had a first floor with 5 rooms (+ 5 kitchens) and one common bathroom-cum-toilet. This room-renting concept in these constructions gave me a feeling that the first floor of houses in Delhi were meant to cater to the requirements of people like me, a part of the "job seeking influx".
Lovingly and honestly, I would write more about my Gautam Nagar life sometime later! Because, there were very different, loving and funny people associated with my day-to-day life there.
Moving forward, the crux of this story, is neither related to this building I am talking about, nor about the rooms owner.
It is something related to the two folding cots available in our room!
About the roommates - a background information
The roommates I had in Gautam Nagar, were ambitious. Their main ambition was to get themselves migrated to Gulf/Middle East. They all considered their Delhi tenure as a stepping stone to get in the first flight to the Middle East.
Joies, alias the "leader" was working in the capacity of a Service Engineer in Modi Xerox. Because of his systematic and disciplined work habits, he could possess wonderful and timely appreciations from the organizations wherever he was attached to. Coincidentally, one of his responsibilities, from a Service engineering perspective, included my office in the Ministry of Defence as well. For a perfect Gulf job, matching his experience and "all" his expectations, he desperately tried, then got tired and eventually retired.
Tale of Joseph seemed little wierd for me. He was a hotel management professional who resigned from his job, completely relying on a false belief of acquiring a job in Saudi Arabia. He expected that he would get his Job Offer letter as soon as the interview was cleared. On a haste, he relinquished his charges from his then position. Occasionally, he cursed his bad time, but resumed applying for Gulf jobs afresh. Since he claimed to be a close relative of Joies, he could earn the title and "rank" of a deputy leader in our room. The pose I best remember of his, is him scanning the Jobs-Vacant pages of Hindustan Times swiftly with a "501" brand beedi glued to his mouth, early in the morning. He was obviously on the look out for a hotel management related job, matching his experience and "all" his expectations.
Jose, reportedly, a "5km-distant" cousin of Joies came from Rajastan two weeks before I joined. Since he joined our room prior to me, he also was a senior to myself. He was good in cooking and he WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED AS MY FIRST COOKING GURU. More about his cooking skills and the culinaries I learned from him, will be detailed when I write more about my Gautam Nagar life. Like Joseph, he was also desperately attending umpteen Gulf bound interviews, but in construction domain. Gradually, he started to dilute his aggressive enthusiasm towards Gulf opportunities. Alternatively, for his passion sake, he transformed himself to a "domestic cook", for all of us !
Of the above, Dilip wore a different coloured cap altogether. He was a soft spoken person, happily enjoying his job in a company in Nehru Place. He was undergoing some medication, more details unknown to me.
Foldable cots
The time frame I am referring to, is January-February of 1993.
Winter!
Severe weather!
The winter nights in Delhi, for me, became intolerable. Because, we were sleeping on the floor.
The two foldable cots available in the room were used by Joies and Joseph. An unwritten rule prevailed there, and in line with that, the cots were allocated to the two "top ranked room leaders". Jose, due to his physical strength occasionally overpowered Joseph and used to grab one of the foldable cots. But, Dilip and myself were permanent "floor sleepers".
It was fun!
Full of comedy!
Bachelorhood !
Days passed by. Due to acclimatisation problems, the winter nights and continuous sleeping on the floor became a real nightmare for me!
In the meantime, to get rid of this inconvenience, I requested one of my colleagues to help me in finding a better and convenient accommodation. He told me that one of his roommates would return to hometown, thereby opening up a "vacancy" in their accommodation. But, there was uncertainity as he did not assure any guarantee on the timeline expected.
Under the circumstances, only two options were open to me - either to become a leader of the room or shift to another room alone (with a "leader" status)!
Frankly, being a "neophyte" in the Capital city, both these options were not practical for me. And, the only feasible solution was to pray for the best!
Yes, I started praying, very religiously, for me and for all concerned!
Prayed for a suitable job for Joseph in one of the best hotels in Saudi Arabia.....
Prayed for a matching job for Jose in a well known construction company in UAE.....
Prayed for an awesome job for Joies in a MNC in any Gulf country he likes.....
Because, the above three were the only possible candidates for the foldable cots!
Also, prayed for a promotion for Dilip and a better stay for him in Delhi, as he was not at all a threat to me to grab one of the available foldable cots !!
First or last, but not the least, I prayed for my well being too!! Selfish!??
I trust in God - past, present and future.
Within a fortnight, my colleague, gave me the happy news of the readiness and availability of a "berth" in his accommodation. Without having any second thoughts, I nodded positively to his much awaited call. Moreover, this newly proposed accommodation was located near to the office.
I got a little relieved.
Not little, but a lot relieved!
In March the same year, Joseph got a job offer from Saudi Arabia, which he happily accepted. He left Delhi within a week and I have never seen him thereafter.
After a month later, Jose also left Gautam Nagar. He got a job in a construction company in Dubai. Due to his family commitments, he went ahead with the appointment. I will never forget the Aaloo Mutter (an Indian curry made of potato and green peas) he taught me to cook, the very first time. Even today, I have a sentimental attachment to Aaloo Mutter, and I cook whenever I think of my Gautam Nagar days.
Dilip was not that lucky like others and I would say, that my prayers were not heard for him. He went back to Kerala for some further treatment. I came to know many years later, that he got settled in Kerala.
Joies continued, like ever before. But, his ambitions had a paradigm shift. He abandoned his Gulf aspirations and he wished to marry a beautiful girl from the nursing profession to get settled.
When Jose, Joseph and Dilip vacated the room, Joies and myself experienced a missing feel.
No fun.
No comedy.
And, there was no fight or competition for the foldable cots.
(Anti)climax
Summer had started by the time I started to enjoy my sleep on the foldable cot. The story and the nightmare continued, as it was terrible to sleep on the cots during Delhi summer !! Then, I longed to get rid of the foldable cot.
Months later, winter started all over again. As per my word given to my colleague, I shifted to the new accommodation. Ironically, I was junior in their team, again, and my story of sleeping on the floor continued.....
I resumed my prayers ......
Roommates - today?
Joies - succeeded on his mission and later married a nurse. Surprisingly, with a matching name too - Joisy.
Jose - neither I saw him thereafter, nor I talked to him over any communication media. Jose, we will meet up, one day - I am confident. I have improved my culinary skills.
Joseph - due to lack of familiarity with emails and mobile phones when we parted, could not establish any contacts with Joseph. Joseph, if you are reading this by any chance, please contact me. Lets revisit our fun-filled days.
Dilip - hope and trust he is a leading a healthy and happy life. Dilip, if you are happy, I am also happy.
I would be more than happy If we can have a reunion after a very very long 17 years!
Not one, or five, or ten, or fifteen, but seventeen long years!
I am feeling very sleepy.... let me get my foldable cot, kept somewhere here !
Good Night!
Renjith Sarada
© 2009-2012 (Renjith P Sarada) All Rights Reserved
31 comments:
Renjith.. awesome. You are becoming a wonderful story teller. All the bset and pray that may god give an opportunity to meet your old companions
Veri nice sir ...must be fun ...good detail of delhi weather n ur roommates.
Dear Renjith,
"Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us"-- (Oscar Wilde)
..and so is true with you as well !! You revisited Delhi and took us along too.. It was an interesting extract ....So now we know u have some culinary talent, shall hold u on to that!! :-)
Dear Renjith,
I am becoming quite fond of reading your autobiography...so to say. Transports one back to the time before emails, internet and a rushed life. When one had the time to stop and stare. When there was a certain innocence and joy in small accomplishments. When things were not so easy to get but the joy of getting them after a struggle was immense. Please continue writing. :)
Shalini
Good Blog! Enjoyed walking down your memory lane.
Hope you ex-roomies meet up again... then,w e can expect another interesting blog, betcha!
Keep Penning... rather, typing...
Cheers!
Ashi
Sree Guruvayurappa saranam
Renjithji I told you before, you are very great. because, see, 10 minutes before I start reading this new blog in bahrain . But when I finished reading this, Oh............. I thought that.... I am not in bahrain .......!!! I am in Delhi in that 1993. so very nice
cot bed blog vayichu....interesting and simple way of writing...keep going!
Went through ur new blog.good!
One more ....story telling went from lanes to by lanes,the whole idea of ur exp with foldable cots got lost!plzzzz dont think that am always picking up the weak points,but am being honest,writer in the making should be on the path of exllencence!!illiya?
O.K one more!!!!i really relate and liked shalini's comments,life is all about small accomplishments and your writings made us to stop and look back at our owm musings in the past!!
The matter got deviated from the title...!!!
Dear Sudhy,
I admit, like you, I am also little disappointed after posting this, as this one IS NOT UP TO THE MARK.
Will definitely honour all your comments and make a better one in the following weeks.
Thanks for your frank opinion.
Best Regards,
Renjith Sarada
Do you keep a journal or is the past completely etched in your mind? Looking forward to hear more from Gautam Nagar. If you can manage to get atleast one photo of Delhi I think that can make the background of the article more interesting, just a small suggestion.
Cant believe it Renju..you have really amazing writing skills. Your blogs ,make excellent reading.
Keep it coming.
BTW,what abt your friend Sathyan,Hari - room mates at Delhi ?
rajesh
Dear Renjith,
I have enjoyed reading your latest blog titled “The foldable cots in Gautama Nagar”.
It is a good habit to cherish the life of Bachelorhood and old friendship.
Look forwared to the pleaure of reading more about your lige in Gautam Nagar.
Thanks and best regards,
Rajan Thundiyil
Dear Shalini,
Thank you very much. And, thank you again for viewing my blogs from a different perspective!
Your support is inevitable for my literary growth and to maintain this spirit.
Best Regards,
Renjith
Dear Rajesh chettan,
I am happy to receive your appreciation on this article. I am much elated to see you looking at my blog in complete perspective, esp. your reference to Sathian & Hari.
Yes, Hari & Sathian will be featured in my future blogs as without them my Delhi bachelorhood was incomplete!!
Best Regards,
Renjith Sarada
Dear Rajan Thundiyil (aka Rajan Chettan),
Welcome to this website and appreciate your response. Thank you for reading and commenting. Please visit this site regularly every week (Insha Allah) and do visit the past entries.
Best Regards,
Renjith Sarada
Dear Renju,
Read your blog and enjoyed it.
I just wanted you to know that you are doing a good job with your writing and keep on writing. Your memories of your first exposure to liofe away from home is very readable. Thanks.
Love ,
Malu chechi
Dear Malu chechi,
I am so happy to receive your comment, especially you being a part of this blog!
This approval of yours, would definitely strengthen my urge to write more about my Delhi days!
Best Regards,
Renju
well written...even took me 2 my delhi days
daer reanju,
good one...you have also taken me back to 17 years.i still remember the day i wisited you at gautham nagar. those narrow lines and the narrow stairs to your happening room.keep writting on those delhi day as many of our pals would also recollect those days
Dear Renju,
I've been reading your blogs and sorry for not commenting on it earlier. They are wonderful and interesting with a touch of humour. Keep up the good work
Dear Renjith
It is nice that you decided to enrich your talent in writing. I know you have the ability to come up with nice expressings by writing. I remember your enthusiasm in bringing our a directory "Yojana" under your leadeship which is with me even today.
The title is very attractive.
Sleeping on the floor, yet lusting after an foldable cot during winter and then kicking off the cot during summer - Life's Paradox well expressed.
But again in the nightmare of "floor sleeping" during the coming winter - life's helplessness
The contradictions that moulds a MAN.
Thanks
Dear Augustine,
I am not sure, how happy I am !!
Thanks for reading this blog and writing in. I was speaking to Hari (ex GATI) a few minutes back and discussed about our Delhi days.
Will definitely write about our Planning Commission days, our Yojana's Kerala (as you rightly mentioned), our chaat shop etc. etc.
Thanks and keep supporting this.
Best Regards,
Renjith
Renju,ur blog abt the foldable cots,did touch my heart.i don't know why,a very nostalgic feeling.Thinking abt our past and the old good days(now,we think so,but,annu angane thonni kanilla)really throws some pain,which we can never experience once again.Hope and prays that u get back ur old friends as soon as possible and have a happy get-to-gether
Hi,
Did u study in University college TVM (1989-1992)? My name is Hema. I was in Zoology. I dont know if u are the Renjith who used to come often to our class. If so, i dont know if u remember me.
Hema
Dear Hema,
Yes, I am!
What a pleasant surprise !! How did you get into this website? Amazing !!
Where are you now? Please write more in detail. Regards to your family.
Best Regards,
Renjith Sarada
Nice. I felt like reading a story,which is having a piece of life in it...for those who have been transplanted from their hometown to some strange place...can feel it!?
Hello,
Took some time and read all your blogs.Doing good brother.
Post a Comment