Kingdom of Bahrain
21 November 2009
BREAKING NEWS ... Happier today!
I am just back after a debut.
A debut on dubbing in Zayoon Artistic Productions, Kingdom of Bahrain.
Thanks to the Almighty and my good friends who are a part of the drama "Kuchela Vritham", to be staged in December 2009.
Personally, my debut is highly remarkable, because I was directed to offer my voice for the person who enacts the role of Lord Krishna, the super hero in Hindu mythology!
May I request you to share my happiness. Some images of the recording!
Mr. Peethambaran, the writer-director fixed the dubbing artiste's head set for me, the very first time (20-Nov-2009)!
Acknowledgement - as always!
Once again, thank you very much for going through, and commenting on my previous entry - "Make a call, book a dog!". I acknowledge my sure-shot readers and new readers - they have not disappointed me.
A big thanks to all those who visited my site, read and commented on.
Good support - with many thanks.
New initiative
A new initiative has been the commencement of online marketing, by including the logo (along with the one-click-link) of Etisalcom Bahrain, the organization which motivates me every month end (by virtue of salary!).
To the storyboard!
This piece is churned out from a relatively old memory chip! Let me muse happily on some of my childhood tantrums and funny moments!
Walking back to the 80s, circa 1984.
- St. Joseph's High School, Trivandrum, India.
- 8th Standard.
- People all over, scared me by constantly advising the importance of 8th Standard in one's life.
- The new gown of a "High School boy", fell on me like a burden, honestly.
- From nowhere, neighbours and distant relatives became more curious on my education!
Immeasurable tension!
- The frequency of tuition classes were beefed up.
- My adventurous journey (to the tuition classes) started, approximately by 6.30 AM in the morning from Mathematics, to school, to Physics, Chemistry etc. etc. etc.
- I really looked forward to a tuition for Drill/Physical Education! But, could not!
That year, Hari, my neighbour-cum-childhood friend-cum-school mate joined me in the same Division where I was. Though we were in the same school, that was the first time he was joining my class.
Hari, a relatively brilliant student, progressively posed a tough competition to my studies and hence, the whole 8th Std, for me, was something similar to the race between the hare and the tortoise.
Hari, a relatively brilliant student, progressively posed a tough competition to my studies and hence, the whole 8th Std, for me, was something similar to the race between the hare and the tortoise.
- We went for tuitions together.
- We played cricket together.
- We went to school together.
- We sat on the same bench, almost together!
- But, our marks were not together!
- There was always quite remarkable, or consistent difference in our marks, in almost all the subjects! He was superior.
As expected, Hari fared well in the First Quarterly exams. Having said that, I cannot completely deny the fact that I did not do well, but of course, not as significant - thats a fact.
I was under tremendous pressure. There were comparisons from all over - neighbours, relatives, parents, everybody contributed profusely!
There were even analyses of the "quantum" of hours we played, we studied, we wasted time, we watched television, and what not!
There were even analyses of the "quantum" of hours we played, we studied, we wasted time, we watched television, and what not!
Did I become a laughing stock? Yes / No / Don't know.
- I decided.
- I decided to study hard for the Second Term Exam.
- I attended.
- I attended the next Term exam with a boosted confidence.
Hari too.
Please don't frown! I was not into cheating, or copying for the exams!
Exams over! We spent short vacation by playing cricket, cricket & more cricket!
End of Parole
After a 10-day fun-filled-happy period, the parole was over and the school reopened for the Final Term.
With much (unwanted) enthusiasm, the teachers used to finish their answer paper valuation during the vacation.
Whatever said and done, I was more than happy to get back my answer sheets of Mathematics, English, and Hindi, but not others. Because, I had been confident in those specific subjects! I was eager to "announce" the marks I obtained for these subjects. Especially, if my marks were superior to that of Hari's, though very rarely.
But, the comparison of our marks became a routine matter and a terrific activity for me. Obviously, my ego suffered a dent.
- I decided.
- I decided to indulge in some foul game to protect my ego.
- I finalized.
- I finalized to inflate the marks while reporting at home.
(After all who is going to remember the marks that I reported?)
- Idea, confirmed.
One by one, the teachers started distributing the answer sheets - boomerang, reminding me of the proverb, "what you sow is what you reap".
For Biology, I still remember, I got only 26 out of 50, while Hari got somewhere around 42-45. The difference in our marks were so remarkable that I could not avoid nasty comparison.
On the way back home (by walking) from school, I started to implement the new idea. I started inflating my marks. By the time I reached the next junction, I decided to report my Biology marks as 30 (the next round figure). On analysis, I understood that there was still a big gap of 12+ marks. By the time, I reached the Ganapathi temple, located at the midway between my house and the school, my Biology marks became 35. Considering the comparison exercises followed by stringent "firing", I reported my Biology mark to my Amma as 38.
A fraud of only 12 marks within 10 minutes!
Poor Amma, she was, believed it and told me not to worry !
I continued this exercise for other (bad) subjects, and as per my plan, Amma believed me. I was happy that I could escape the humiliation of comparison and further scoldings! As per the new marks reported, my total came to somewhere between 480 and 500 - aggregating 80% PLUS.
I was confident that Amma would never be remembering my marks even when I show her my Progress Card.
- I finalized.
- I finalized to inflate the marks while reporting at home.
(After all who is going to remember the marks that I reported?)
- Idea, confirmed.
One by one, the teachers started distributing the answer sheets - boomerang, reminding me of the proverb, "what you sow is what you reap".
For Biology, I still remember, I got only 26 out of 50, while Hari got somewhere around 42-45. The difference in our marks were so remarkable that I could not avoid nasty comparison.
On the way back home (by walking) from school, I started to implement the new idea. I started inflating my marks. By the time I reached the next junction, I decided to report my Biology marks as 30 (the next round figure). On analysis, I understood that there was still a big gap of 12+ marks. By the time, I reached the Ganapathi temple, located at the midway between my house and the school, my Biology marks became 35. Considering the comparison exercises followed by stringent "firing", I reported my Biology mark to my Amma as 38.
A fraud of only 12 marks within 10 minutes!
Poor Amma, she was, believed it and told me not to worry !
I continued this exercise for other (bad) subjects, and as per my plan, Amma believed me. I was happy that I could escape the humiliation of comparison and further scoldings! As per the new marks reported, my total came to somewhere between 480 and 500 - aggregating 80% PLUS.
I was confident that Amma would never be remembering my marks even when I show her my Progress Card.
Award Ceremony
If you ask me to list down the most scariest days that I had experienced in my life, I would definitely point out the initial ten to fifteen working days in St. Joseph's High School, immediately after Second Term exam vacation.
Why?
Because, the Progress Cards were distributed by Headmaster himself.
To make matters "adverse", he would always be accompanied by a teacher (who was good in physical stamina) for the Award Ceremony. Mostly, it was our beloved Scout Master, late Mr. J.R. Vincent. (RIP, both these beloved teachers left us for ever in 1988 and 2009 respectively)
To make matters "adverse", he would always be accompanied by a teacher (who was good in physical stamina) for the Award Ceremony. Mostly, it was our beloved Scout Master, late Mr. J.R. Vincent. (RIP, both these beloved teachers left us for ever in 1988 and 2009 respectively)
Award Ceremony? Awarding of cane beatings (hereafter referred to as awards) ! The recipients were all, those who did not show any improvement in their marks when compared to their corresponding marks for the First Term Exams!!
A strange ritual it was!
I pretended to be "sick" to take leave from school during this timeframe, but in vain. After all, my parents were my parents!
Yes, I too got awards. The quantity and quality of these awards varied according to the "de-improvement" in your marks. It was painful, but was equally happy sometimes, as the awards were happily given to many top rankers as well (just because, they scored less when compared to the First Term Exam).
Thankfully, Hari too got awards, hence I was at peace.
Climax
I showed the Progress Card to my Amma, who would, normally, "through Proper Channel", get the signatures from Achan.
One day, two days, three days past, neither Achan signed my Progress Card nor Amma spoke to me.
I became anxious.
I asked -"Amma, I want to return the Progress Card latest by tomorrow".
She handed over the Progress Card to me, just like before, that is, without any signatures!
Amma stared at me, like never before. I was perplexed, and had no clue.
I even asked to myself - "Why is she indifferent this time?"
Like in movies, she got off her chair and walked to the kitchen.
I followed her.
Much to my surprise, she opened her kitchen shelf. From the midst the cereals and provisions, she took out her notebook, the one she used for noting the kitchen-related accounts.
She opened the notebook - the penultimate page, to be precise.
Positioning her reading glasses, she asked me - "How much did you score for Biology?"
Looking at the Progress Card, I told - "T w e n t y S i x".
On hearing my response, Amma looked at her note book. Must have commented something, I don't remember, exactly.
She reconfirmed - "Not 38, isn't it?"
She repeated the same questions, for those hatred subjects of mine - Physics, Chemistry, History & Geography. My face turned pale.
As per her records (that she noted my inflated marks in her kitchen notebook, without my knowledge), I got 80%.
I shouldn't have underestimated her!!
Quite unexpectedly, she caught me red handed. Because, in actuals, my aggregate was much much less! Undoubtedly, a session of punishment, continued.
Perhaps, that was the LAST TIME, I lied to my Amma (especially in marks).
I learnt through the hard way not to underestimate your parents, how old or educated or uneducated they are.
With this note, let me open a discussion on similar experiences from my valuable readers!
Today
Hari, after his Engineering graduation, is currently working in America. After this shocking experience, I stopped telling lies to Amma thereafter, and tried my best to study hard. With God's blessings and her care & affection, I enjoy where I am, what I am, who I am.
From my heart, once again, "Amma, I AM SORRY" !
Renjith Sarada
Please do not hesitate to leave your comments.
Climax
I showed the Progress Card to my Amma, who would, normally, "through Proper Channel", get the signatures from Achan.
One day, two days, three days past, neither Achan signed my Progress Card nor Amma spoke to me.
I became anxious.
I asked -"Amma, I want to return the Progress Card latest by tomorrow".
She handed over the Progress Card to me, just like before, that is, without any signatures!
Amma stared at me, like never before. I was perplexed, and had no clue.
I even asked to myself - "Why is she indifferent this time?"
Like in movies, she got off her chair and walked to the kitchen.
I followed her.
Much to my surprise, she opened her kitchen shelf. From the midst the cereals and provisions, she took out her notebook, the one she used for noting the kitchen-related accounts.
She opened the notebook - the penultimate page, to be precise.
Positioning her reading glasses, she asked me - "How much did you score for Biology?"
Looking at the Progress Card, I told - "T w e n t y S i x".
On hearing my response, Amma looked at her note book. Must have commented something, I don't remember, exactly.
She reconfirmed - "Not 38, isn't it?"
She repeated the same questions, for those hatred subjects of mine - Physics, Chemistry, History & Geography. My face turned pale.
As per her records (that she noted my inflated marks in her kitchen notebook, without my knowledge), I got 80%.
I shouldn't have underestimated her!!
Quite unexpectedly, she caught me red handed. Because, in actuals, my aggregate was much much less! Undoubtedly, a session of punishment, continued.
Perhaps, that was the LAST TIME, I lied to my Amma (especially in marks).
I learnt through the hard way not to underestimate your parents, how old or educated or uneducated they are.
With this note, let me open a discussion on similar experiences from my valuable readers!
Today
Hari, after his Engineering graduation, is currently working in America. After this shocking experience, I stopped telling lies to Amma thereafter, and tried my best to study hard. With God's blessings and her care & affection, I enjoy where I am, what I am, who I am.
From my heart, once again, "Amma, I AM SORRY" !
Renjith Sarada
Please do not hesitate to leave your comments.
© 2009-2012 (Renjith P Sarada) All Rights Reserved


16 comments:
good. all the best
Good one Renjithji...
You really cannot forget those days.
I was sharing my experince of waking up early morning after a nightmare of entering the examination hall without proper preparation, even today, with Satheeshji yesterday.
I too was not the topper in school, but used be one among the top 8 (from 4th to 8th). But, I don't remember lying on the Marks. I had another one experience about my Marks. As this place is too small to describe it, I would one day place it in the Blog.
Good old memories........and anyone's best part of their life...
Carry on........Renjith.
Dear Chetta,
Read about the "remarkable markings" That was a good one. It reminded me of the marks that I used to get in school. Bahh! Maths- it was really bad.
My dear renjuu,CONGRATS!!!!!!!!So,now u are a dubbing artist too.Happy to know that u are happy and so thrilled that u could play the role of ur 'FAN'--lord Krishna.u are always blessed.love u.
Just now read ur blog.it was interesting.valiamma ithrayum midukki aayirunnu alle?Afterall whose amma?--ur's alle,athayirikkum.Hope valiamma also read this blog(getting read by anybody)and enjoy his loving son's kumbasaram,haha.reading ur blog this time,i really feel sad when i realise that i was not with u during ur naughty childhood days.Anyway,Achukutta,u cannot play this game,since ur achan is well experienced,haha.
Love,
Rema Chechi
Dear Renjith,
Nice blog. Quite interesting to read. I must say you are developing into a good writer, who knows how to present things, what to write, how to order it, how to develop the matter and how nicely to end this. Good to read this. Keep up.
Sorry not read some other blogs as work pressure is more.
P.S. I am a bit concerned about your receding hair lines from the latest photos. Is the water culprit or growing age? Take Care….
Renju .keep blogging.we all have nostalgic memories but it's not easy to pen it down . Thank God our report
cards were first seen by our amma and you know how pavam she is.
Read ur blog ...every thing related to child hood always floods you with sweet and sour memories!ice attempt to recollect.....
Dear friends,
Am so happy to go through these comments.
I cannot control my happiness!! Because, I got 8 comments for this blog story in various forms (email/comments/scrap) in 8 hours. The first best rating I ever got for my blogs. I thank Amma, for being the protagonist of this story.
Am glad that this blog story could open many minds and took many of the readers to their childhood.
Thanks for reading the blog and supporting me by comments.
Best Regards,
Renjith P Sarada
Even I never expected this anticlimax..i.e valiammma keeping a tag of your marks herself.Immensely,liked this method.
I also remember,you getting irritated at the very mention of the name 'Hari' due to the nonstop comparisons.I also remember,me deliberately teasing you..like asking you "So,how is Hari and his marks ".
Renju, excellent job! I could sense, while reading, your tension, your worries and even your annoyance at the very mention of the name 'Hari'. Haven't we all done something similar at some point or the other in our lives! In retrospect, it might seem silly and small but at that time its a matter of life or death. Don't you think so? Now a dubbing artist as well? Good for you! Do not be scared to try new things. Pursue if you enjoy it and drop it if you don't. As simple as that!
...Who hasn't in their school days not passed through a phase of competitiveness tinged with envy at anothers good marks!! In your case it happened to be Hari..Made good reading..took me back to my school days-I was not a good fan of Chem either !!
Nice. Really a nostalgic one! it makes the reader to go back to their childhood memories....they are like the pieces of peacock feathers we kept in the book of our life!.
Renjith
Really good - cant forget our pitch (the last one in the school ground) making us all onside batsmen
Joseph D
Hey Renjith,
That was a super piece. You are really growing in confidence and your style is just getting better and better. But I think that's not surprising because the improvement typifies you. You always look to improve what you are doing each time and come up trumps. You are not used to losing.:)Your blog is also looking very healthy I must say. :)
Congrats on the voice over that came your way. Things are beginning to happen in various ways for you. May you grow as tall as you can be.
രസകരം... നൊസ്റ്റാൾജിക്.. വീണ്ടും വായിക്കാൻ തോന്നിക്കുന്ന എഴുത്തു.. അഭിനന്ദനങ്ങൾ രഞ്ജിത്ത്..
Post a Comment